$ – Admission is charged
P – Parking
HA – Handicapped Accessible
SH – Shop
GT – Group or Coach tour available upon request
R – Rentals available
FS – Food Service
Aldie Mill Historic Park – SH GT R
39401 John Mosby Highway
Aldie, VA 20105
Aldie Mill was built between 1807 and 1809 and survives today as Virginia’s only known grist mill powered by twin waterwheels. For more than 150 years the mill ground for markets along the East Coast and overseas. President James Monroe was an early customer while living at nearby Oak Hill. The mill provided grain for soldiers and their horses during the Civil War. Union Soldiers hid in the wheat bins trying to escape from Confederate partisan John Singleton Mosby. Milling demonstrations when water level permits.
Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial – HA SH
Arlington National Cemetery
Arlington, VA 22211
George Washington Parke Custis, grandson of Martha Washington, with slaves inherited from Mt. Vernon, built Arlington House on an 1,100 acre plantation between 1802 and 1818. This large, faux-stone, greek revival style mansion served as Robert E. Lee’s home for 30 years and is where he penned his resignation from the US Army. Restored to 1861, Arlington House includes a formal and kitchen garden, Museum, historic Slave Quarters and a tract of virgin forest. Arlington House is open seven days a week. For the months of June-August, the house will be open 9 AM to 5:30 PM. The bookstore is open 10 AM to 4 PM. Arlington House will be closed for holidays on January 1 (New Year’s Day), January 19 (Martin Luther King Jr. Day), February 16 (Washington’s Birthday), November 26 (Thanksgiving Day), and December 25 (Christmas Day).
The Ball-Sellers House – P GT
5620 Third Street South
Arlington, VA 22204
The house is a rare example of the dwelling and lifestyle of the ordinary person during the 1700s and is the oldest surviving house in Arlington. The most notable feature of the house is its clapboard roof, a rare survival in Virginia.
Ben Lomond Historic Site – P $ HA SH GT R
10321 Sudley Manor Dr.
Manassas, VA 20109
FEE for tours, park is free.
Ben Lomond and its outbuildings were constructed for Benjamin Tasker and Edmonia Carter Chinn in 1832. Confederate forces used Ben Lomond as a hospital following the 1861 Battle of First Manassas. In 1862, Federal soldiers occupying the property left messages on the house walls. Tour the house, see the soldiers’ preserved writing and enjoy the antique Rose Garden.
Park and Rose Garden open sunrise to sunset every day, Tours offered May – October, Thursday – Monday, 11am – 4pm, or by appointment.
Blenheim and the Civil War Interpretive Center – P HA SH GT R
3610 Old Lee Highway
Fairfax, VA 22003
Built ca.1859 by Albert Willcoxon, the Blenheim House is significant for containing the nation’s largest collection of Civil War soldier signatures, art, games, and poetry, written on house walls by Union soldiers during their occupation of the Fairfax area. A literal “diary on walls,” the inscriptions provide amazing insight into the psyche of the common soldier during wartime. The Civil War Interpretive Center, built in 2008, interprets local Civil War history through permanent and temporary exhibits. The Center won an AIA design award and is available for rentals. The site hosts the annual Fairfax Civil War Day every April.
The Civil War Interpretive Center is open Tuesday-Saturday from 10am-3pm with a guided tour at 1pm; the Blenheim House is only open during the 1pm tour Tuesday-Saturday.
Brentsville Courthouse Historic Centre – P $ HA SH GT R
12229 Bristow Rd.
Bristow, VA 20136
In 1820, the Prince William County seat was moved from Dumfries to the new town of Brentsville. The Brentsville Courthouse Historic Centre features the 1822 Courthouse and Jail, an 1850’s log home, the 1874 Union Church and the 1928 One Room Schoolhouse. Visit these historic buildings, learn about the 1822 Tavern on the Archaeology Trail and discover wildlife on the one mile long Nature Trail.
Park open sunrise to sunset every day, Tours offered May – October, Thursday – Monday, 11am – 4pm, or by appointment.
Carlyle House Historic Park – $ SH GT R
121 N. Fairfax Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
The historic Carlyle House was completed in 1753 by British merchant John Carlyle for his bride, Sarah Fairfax. Their home quickly became a center of social and political life in Alexandria and gained a foothold in history when British General Braddock summoned five colonial governors to meet there to plan the early campaigns of the French and Indian War.
On the National Register of Historic Places, Carlyle House is architecturally unique in Alexandria as the only stone, 18th-century Palladian-style house. Daily tours of the house, programs for schoolchildren, special events, exhibits and lectures explore the life and times of John Carlyle in Revolutionary Alexandria.
Cherry Hill Farmhouse – P HA R GT
312 Park Avenue
Falls Church, VA 22046
The house is an excellent example of a mid-19th century Greek Revival farmhouse. The farmhouse is fully furnished and reflects the life of a prosperous farming family in mid-19th century Virginia.
Colvin Run Mill Historic Site – $ P HA SH G
10017 Colvin Run Road
Great Falls, VA 22066
Completed c.1811, Colvin Run Mill is a rare surviving operational water-powered gristmill in the Washington, DC, metro area. Owned by the Fairfax County Park Authority and accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, the mill is a Virginia Landmark, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Its restored mechanism has been nationally recognized by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers as a significant example of automated technologies pioneered in milling and later adopted across American industry. Other buildings on the site include the c.1806 miller’s house (the oldest brick house in Great Falls, VA), an early 20th century general store moved to its present location from across the road, and an interpretive barn with adjacent blacksmith shop.
Grounds open 7 days a week, dawn-dusk; General Store open daily (closed Tuesdays) 11am-4pm; mill tours offered daily on the hour, 11am-3pm (except Tuesdays).
Grinding demonstrations 1st and 3rd Sundays, April – October; special events, tours, school and scout programs offered year-round, see website for more information.
Gadsby’s Tavern Museum – $ SH R FS GT
134 North Royal Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Gadsby’s Tavern Museum consists of two tavern buildings constructed by John Wise in 1785 and 1792. The buildings are named for its most prominent tavernkeeper, John Gadsby. Mr. Gadsby’s establishment was a center of political, business, and social life in early Alexandria. Famous patrons include George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, James Madison and the Marquis de Lafayette. The museum offers regular tours of the site and host of children’s and interpretive programs year-round.
George Washington’s Mount Vernon – $ HA P SH FS GT R
3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway
Mount Vernon, VA 22121
Mount Vernon was the home of George and Martha Washington from the time of their marriage in 1759 until George Washington’s death in 1799. Today, 45-acres are open to the public including the Mansion, the Washingtons’ Tomb, gardens, working farm & blacksmith shop plus whiskey distillery & gristmill. In 2006, 25 theaters and galleries with interactive experiences opened to illuminate the real George Washington. The Fred W. Smith National Library for the Study of George Washington opened in 2013 to serve as a center for scholarship and educational outreach, as well as the permanent home of many of Washington’s books, manuscripts, and correspondence.
Gunston Hall P $ HA SH GT R
10709 Gunston Road
Mason Neck, VA 22079
Gunston Hall is an 18th-century Georgian mansion near the Potomac River in Mason Neck, Virginia, United States of America. The house was the home of the United States Founding Father George Mason.
Historic Green Spring – P HA SH FS
Green Spring Gardens
4603 Green Spring Road
Alexandria, VA 22312
The historic house at Green Spring is set amid 28 acres of demonstration gardens and woodland stream valley. John Moss, gentleman freeholder, built the house in 1784 and was the first of several prominent individuals to live here up till 1970. The house was rehabilitated in the Colonial Revival style in the 1940s. It stands today as a unique example of mid-twentieth century Colonial Revival architecture.
Visitors can view changing art exhibits, enjoy a full English tea with a tour or presentation, and visit our tea-themed shop. The house is open Wednesday-Sunday, noon-4:30 p.m.
Historic Huntley – S P HA GT R
6918 Harrison Lane
Alexandria, VA 22306
The Historic Huntley site contains a remarkable collection of buildings that are valuable both architecturally and as a relatively intact picture of local nineteenth-century plantation life. The house and its outbuildings (office, large necessary and storage building and domed ice well and cold cellar) were built ca. 1825 by Thomson Francis Mason, lawyer and mayor in Alexandria and grandson of George Mason. The complex, which once was the center of a country estate with terraced gardens sloping down to farm fields and pastures, has been called “one of Virginia’s undiscovered architectural treasures.” The grounds at Historic Huntley are open from March to November, dawn to dusk. Call for a weekend tour schedule of the building from April to October and for information about scheduled programs, themed tours for school groups and visitors of all ages, and special events.
Lee-Fendall House Museum – $ P FS GT
614 Oronoco Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
From 1785 until 1903, the house served as the home to thirty-seven members of the Lee family. Now restored to its early Victorian elegance, and furnished with a splendid collection of Lee family heirlooms as well as pieces produced by Alexandria furniture manufacturers, the museum presesnts an intimate study of 19th century family life.
Morven Park – $ P GT HA R
17263 Southern Planter Lane
Leesburg, VA 20176
Fee for tours, park is free. A National Register Historic Property, Morven Park was for 40 years the home of Virginia Gov. Westmoreland Davis. More than 100,000 people visit Morven Park each year, enjoying entertaining and educational programming at its three museums and multifaceted equestrian center, and experiencing its beautiful scenery, historic gardens, sports fields, and hiking trails, all within its 1,200-plus acres. The public is invited to events in every season, including Civil War reenactments, equestrian competitions, festivals, and hands-on learning programs.
Oatlands – $ P SH GT R
20850 Oatlands Plantation Lane
Leesburg, VA 20175
A stately mansion, beautiful rolling farmland, exquisite gardens, a repository of more than 200 years of American history and culture – all of these can be found at Oatlands Historic House and Gardens near Leesburg, Virginia.
Ratcliffe-Allison House & Kitty Pozer Garden – HA GT
10386 Main Street
Fairfax, VA 22030
Built in 1812, the small brick house with 1824 and 1927 additions, is the oldest house in downtown Fairfax. Discover the architectural changes and the lives of its owners and renters—from shoemaker Henry Logan to Washington Post garden writer Kitty Barrett Pozer. Free docent-led tours, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., Saturdays, April – October. Group tours ($25.00) may be arranged in advance at other times by calling 703-385-8414.
Rippon Lodge Historic Site – P $ HA SH GT R
15520 Blackburn Rd.
Woodbridge, VA 22191
Rippon Lodge was built ca. 1747 by Richard Blackburn, an immigrant from Ripon, England. His son, Lt. Col. Thomas Blackburn, enlarged the house in 1800. Judge Wade Ellis expanded Rippon Lodge to its current size during the early 1920’s. Tour the restored house, stroll across the vast lawns, visit the 18th century cemetery and admire the view of historic Neabsco Creek and Potomac River.
Tours offered May – October, Thursday – Monday, 11am – 4pm, or by appointment. Tour fee.
Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum – $ SH GT R
105-107 South Fairfax Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
The Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum, was a family business founded in 1792 by Edward Stabler which operated from 1796 until 1933. It represents one of Alexandria’s oldest continuously run businesses that combined retailing, wholesaling, and manufacturing. As a museum today, the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary offers a look at this unique family enterprise and the life of the Apothecary’s employees and customers.
Sully Historic Site – $ P HA SH GT
3650 Historic Sully Way
Chantilly, VA 20151
Built in 1794, Sully was the home of northern Virginia’s first congressman, Richard Bland Lee and his family, enslaved African Americans, and indentured servants. In addition to the main house, the site is complemented by the original 18th century kitchen-laundry, smokehouse and stone dairy, and representative gardens and slave quarter.
Weems-Botts Museum – P $ HA SH GT
3944 Cameron St.
Dumfries, VA 220269
The original structure of the Weems Botts Museum house was constructed in 1749 for the purpose of a vestry house. It would be known as the Dettingen Vestry and Poor House until 1798 when Parson Mason Locke Weems purchased it for the purpose of a book shop. Weems was made famous by his creation of the Cherry Tree Story and the penning of the first biography of George Washington. Weems would sell the house to Benjamin Gaines Botts in 1802 and Botts would use the house as a law office until 1811. Botts was well known as the fifth and youngest lawyer hired to defend Arron Burr during the Burr treason trial of 1807. This trial was considered the trial of the century and brought Benjamin Botts notoriety as a successful attorney. In touring our small museum our guests learn about the larger than life history that took place in Dumfries and how our little house was at the center of significant historical events. Tours offered March 1st to December 17th. Touring Hours: 10:30 am to 4pm.
Woodlawn – Frank Lloyd Wright’s Pope-Leighey House – $ P HA SH R GT
Frank Lloyd Wright’s Pope-Leighey House is located on the grounds of Woodlawn
9000 Richmond Highway (U.S. Route 1)
Alexandria, Virginia 22309
Woodlawn is a gracious 126-acre estate that was originally part of George Washington’s Mount Vernon. The main Federal-style house was designed by the architect of the U.S. Capitol, Dr. William Thornton, and constructed between 1800 and 1805 for Washington’s nephew Major Lawrence Lewis and his bride, Eleanor “Nelly” Custis Lewis. During the Lewis’ years in residence, Woodlawn comprised over 2,000 acres and was worked by over 100 workers, at least 90 of whom were enslaved people of African descent.
The Pope-Leighey House, a Usonian home designed by renowned American architect Frank Lloyd Wright put forth a challenge that he would grapple with for many years. His solution–the Usonian house was a modestly-scaled family dwelling that was (relatively) affordable, designed for modern family life, and responded to the surrounding environment. The Pope-Leighey House is a classic example of this type of architecture and of mid-20th century design.